1st Race of 2010!

The first race of 2010 is in the books and it was a blast! This was one of the Arizona state series races that is held at McDowell mountain park. The turnout for the event was awesome - and we ended up having a fast group of guys in the singlespeed class.

I arrived at the venue a couple of hours early to get everything set up, prepare for the race, bbut mainly just to hang out and talk to everyone! I spent the first hour and a half catching up with people that I have not seen since the end of the season - then went and rode around for a little while to warm up.

Lining up for the race is always a lot of fun because most of the guys in my class have been racing for a long time... and we all know each other pretty well. Dejay Birtch lined up next to me and we promptly started the normal pre-race banter about not getting enough sleep, lack of training, stuff wrong with bikes, and trying to confuse each other on the course route :)

When the race took off, I did my best to KILL it for the first lap... which was working great for the first 3 miles of the race - I had about a 30 second lead over the rest of the field and was feeling great! Then, out of nowhere there was a loud bang like I hit a rock with a pedal and I went flying off the trail... I gathered myself, got back on the trail and and tried to maintain my lead, however one foot would not clip into the pedal. The chase group caught me and 4 guys passed, however I was not able to clip in. I ended up riding the rest of the race with only one foot clipped into the pedal... which is challenging standing on the little spd platform with cycling shoes!

I ended up catching everyone except Dejay and finished second place, a couple of minutes behind. Even with the issue, it was super fun and I had a great time racing! It felt good to get out there and really hammer on the bike for a couple oof hours. When I inspected the pedal, there was nothing wrong with it.... the cleat on the shoe actually broke in half!! (never befor seen a shimano spd cleat do that!!)

I am looking forward to the next race in a couple of weeks and getting ready for the 24 hours of old Pueblo!!